Tuesday 27 January 2015

My English Language Learning Journey

My English language learning journey began when I was born. As I emerged from my mother’s womb, I screamed a loud “ahhhh”. For about one year, that was the only expression I could utter. My mother told me that my first word was “mummy”.

Growing up in an English speaking family despite having a Chinese mother and an Indian father was a real blessing. Since then, my primary language of communication has been English. From primary till secondary school, attending English lessons and taking tests were a breeze. This was a subject which I did not have to study for, yet could do decently without any revision or practice. The pinnacle of my English language achievements would be my O level English grade, where I scored a respectable B3. 

 However, this trend did not continue. By the time I entered junior college, the lack of reading English materials had taken a toll on my English language capability. I initially struggled hard to get a passing grade in school, but this did not bother me as almost everybody in class was struggling as well.

Given the numerous content heavy subjects in school, I made the active decision to focus on my main subjects. This was so that I could reap better results for my core subjects, rather than focusing on my English grades which may not improve.

Eventually, having not studied English a single day in junior college, I got an E grade for my A levels. Because of this, I had to take the QET as my grade did not meet the minimum requirement.

As I flipped open the QET paper, I was pleasantly surprised as the essay topic was about robots, which I was interested in and had extensive knowledge about. I hastily planned my essay and started writing about all the arguments I could think of without any reference to the passages provided, despite it being an exam requirement. On hindsight, I should have read the exam requirements before proceeding with the essay. I believe I would have scored well should I have taken that approach instead.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks, Luke, for setting up your blog and posting so quickly. From your reflective essay, I can see that while you have had a few struggles with masterfully completing various English exams in your past, using the language is not a problem for you. Lucky you then; your focus can be on refining the conventions required for writing academic essays.

    At the same time, you're now in ES1102, for whatever reason, and you might just as well make the best of it. To do that, all you need to do is put your heart into the assignments, which I'm sure you are capable of. In my classes, everyone has a part to play. I will value your contributions to social interaction and the skills development of your classmates in the various work groups, and that will be a good learning experience for you as well. Thanks in advance for helping make that happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for taking the time to read and comment on my post. I will work hard for this module!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Luke, nice to look at your blog. I guess English to us is really a great challenge for us to overcome. Hope to read more of your essays next time!

    ReplyDelete